A design above the doorway has a depiction of Union Terminal created from inlaid wood, including a working electric clock. Our highest mountain on display is over 16 feet tall. , The terminal lawn originally measured 1,400 by 500 feet (430m 150m), and gently carries broad driveways upward to the terminal. , Union Terminal was also featured in the 1996 DC comic book series Terminal City. The clock is no longer functioning. They had concrete bases, covered with canopies. The African American laborers were drawn from Union Terminal construction workers, while the Blackfeet natives were copied from sketches Reiss made earlier while visiting the group. Since the concourse's demolition in 1974, fourteen of the works have been moved numerous times.  In 1977, the terminal was designated a U.S. National Historic Landmark. Taxi and bus driveways leading to and from the Rotunda are now used as museum space.  The room's marble is 150 million years old, containing numerous fossilized skeletons. One of the animators, Al Gmuer, likely visited the terminal while attending meetings, and confirmed he was inspired by the terminal in designing the superhero headquarters. It was originally an intermediate lobby between the rotunda and the train concourse, and served passengers with baggage checking on the north side and parcel checking on the south side. , The Skilken Organization initially proposed "Oz" or the "Land of Oz", a shopping mall with an ice skating rink and bowling alley.  The painting was one of several offered as a donation from a private collector to the Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art at Cornell University. Always fun activities and not just for kids. , The floor was consistently patterned in the rotunda, through the checking lobby, and into and through the train concourse. The terminal would this be the first major station it abandoned in favor of a new station. The ice skating and bowling never materialized, but the shopping center's retail and restaurants began installation in 1978. The domed section is flanked by two symmetrical wings, lower in profile, each of which curves 90 degrees to the east.  Carroll Meeks, a professor of architecture and art history at Yale University, compared its layout to a half funnel laid out on the ground, with the wide end collecting passengers and the narrow end ejecting them out onto the platforms. , Cincinnati Union Terminal is located in the Queensgate neighborhood, created in the mid-20th century; originally it was part of the West End. During construction, we had to dig into the ground to build the Ames Room.  The building and museum center had their reopening ceremony on November 17, 2018.  After the Great Flood of 1884, railroad presidents began seeking one major terminal located far from the river. Approximately 24 of these fossils are visible in the walls of the Rotunda.  The station building in total has 504,000 square feet (46,800m2). It sold the building and rail yard to Southern Railway, which was expanding its freight operations. Before this, the city removed fourteen Reiss industrial murals; they were transported and installed at the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport.  The lawn was originally Lincoln Park, a lush city park. The service runs between Chicago and New York City; trains to Chicago arrive at 1:31a.m. and trains to New York arrive at 3:17a.m., each departing 10 minutes later. Another example of a pull-through station is Kansas City Union Station, while Grand Central Terminal is a head-house-style terminal. The walkway through our exhibit is 850 feet long. In 2009, they extended the levy to fund further repairs, and the museum center began to restore the terminal's southwest wing of the terminal. Was there back on Fathers Day. They were removed around the 1980s due to damage from nicotine, soot, and dirt, and were restored and re-hung in 2018 during the terminal's renovation. , In 2014, the museum center and the Google Cultural Institute created a virtual tour of the museum using Google Street View, with about 65 works of art and their descriptive labels viewable. , In January 1973, the Revive Union Terminal Committee picketed a Southern Railway board member's house, the city commissioner refused to issue a wrecking permit for the terminal, and further public events were planned.  The room was noise-insulated with cork linoleum and Celotex due to its once-frequent exposure to passenger trains.  The club had been meeting in the terminal since 1938. There are 52 panes of glass; 24 are red-tinted, while 28 are amber. Union Terminal saw 11,862 boardings and alightings in 2016, 11,144 in 2017, 8,315 in 2018, and 8,641 in 2019. , The world map mural was 70 by 16 feet (21.3m 4.9m), weighing 22.4 tons. , All interior spaces were designed without visible heating or cooling units. All of our volunteers leave a personal touch on the items they work on you can even see a photo of some in their buildings! , The west end of the lawn has an ornamental terrace with steps, hedges, and a central fountain. The roundhouse had 20 indoor stalls, 17 outdoor spaces, and a turntable with a 115-foot (35m) diameter. September 1951 New York Central timetable, Table 23, October 1957 New York Central timetable, Table 23, Chicago, Cincinnati & Louisville Railroad, U.S. National Register of Historic Places, Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2019: State of Ohio", "Cincinnati Museum Center reports highest attendance in 29 years", "Cincinnati's New Union Terminal Now in Service", "Amtrak to Chicago: Advocates hope train service can grow from limited options Cincinnati has now", "Named Trains of the PRR Including Through Services", "With Local Angles and a Hopeful Focus, Cincinnati's Holocaust & Humanity Center Finds New Ways to Tell of the Horrors of the Holocaust", "Cincinnati Museum Center expands dining, retail and adds beer", "Cincinnati Museum Center reopening: What you need to know", "Google enables Street View virtual tour of Cincinnati Museum Center", "Cincinnati Union Terminal: Photographs, Written Historical and Descriptive Data", "Ezzard Charles Drive, the Making of a Parkway", "Planning for a Sustainable Future of the Cincinnati Union Terminal", "Union Terminal supporters 'cautiously optimistic' about Issue 8's approval", "The Cincinnati Union Passenger Terminal", "Ticket Agent C. W. Woodward Is "The Traveler's Friend" at Cincinnati Terminal", "Need a sign that our restoration project is coming to an end? The sixteen gates each led to stairs and ramps to the platforms below.  In 1968, the Cincinnati Science Center opened in Union Terminal, though due to financial difficulties, the museum closed in 1970. Each tunnel leads you into a new time period through your journey. Hot air would be vented into the train concourse behind light fixtures. The building was also connected to the post office through conveyor belts, delivering city mail separate from transfer mail; the post office in turn delivered outgoing mail split between northern and southern railways. , The mail handling building and express terminals were on the east side of the terminal property, easily accessible to the city's downtown, and directly to the west and north of the Dalton Avenue U.S. Post Office, completed around 1933 and still standing.
 The room is designed with Art Deco details like the other original portions of the building. Over 130 talented craftsmen volunteered over 200,000 man-hours to create our display. It overlooks the Gest Street rail yard as well as a mile north and south, including part of Queensgate Yard. Love the holiday themed events as well! These tracks allowed for sleeping cars and express cars to be exchanged. The power plant had a 250-foot chimney and a set of three boilers. , The terminal opened with service from seven railroads: the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad; Chesapeake and Ohio Railway; Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway; Louisville and Nashville Railroad; Norfolk and Western Railway; Pennsylvania Railroad; and the Southern Railway.  The entrance arcades are lined with cream-colored terra cotta. In 2004, county residents approved a levy for the building's operating costs and capital repairs. The murals measure 13 by 30 feet (4.0m 9.1m), and depict seven people who played a significant role in the terminal's development and construction.  On October 11, 1972, the Ohio Historical Society nominated the terminal for the National Register of Historic Places, with a note of emergency as Southern Railway planned to demolish the terminal; the nomination was approved 20 days later.  The terminal lies directly east of the Gest Street rail yard, and directly west of an expansive lawn and parking lot, formerly Lincoln Park. The toy shop had star and moon light fixtures that reflected colors from the ceiling onto the toys, which were depicted in patterns on the shop's floor. Reiss spent roughly two years in the design and creation of the murals. Our three boys LOVE Entertrainment Junction! It was constructed of concrete and green terrazzo, and was designed by Fellheimer & Wagner. The study is a work in progress, showing the process and decisions taken to complete the work; it was not completed as his other studies were. The train museum is a timeless delight!  Neon tubing on the aluminum hour and minute hands is also original, lighting them in an orange-red hue. It was designed with colorful pastels, and features colorful mosaic murals by Winold Reiss. Union Terminal's distinctive architecture, interior design, and history have earned it several landmark designations, including as a National Historic Landmark. , The terminal is widely considered the United States' finest example of railway architecture, and one of the last grand train stations in the country. , The express terminal was 742 feet (226m) long, ranging from 40136 feet (1241m) wide.  Several plans were floated for reuse of the building in the 1970s, including as a local transit hub or arts school.  The fountain cascades water down a set of scalloped tiers into a pool below.  The side and rear walls of the building utilize light buff brick.  The concourse's west end had a large clock, also saved from demolition. , The space to the east of the station consists of a terrace and fountain to the west and parking lots around a narrow lawn to the east. Very impressed and we will be back soon! The main level operation Cup and Pint serves pizzas, coffee, and draft beer, while Nourish 513 serves sandwiches, salads, and fast food. From 1989 to 1991, to make room for the Omnimax theater under construction, the train murals were relocated to the mezzanine. The canopies were of painted steel; roofing was by the Philip Carey Company.  130 acres were occupied by the terminal and its surrounding grounds, while 157 acres were occupied by supporting railroad facilities. Amtrak returned to the terminal in 1991, resuming its role as an intercity train station. Most of the interior metal work is made of aluminum, including doors, signs, ticket grills, and light fixtures.  Behind the terrace, a driveway curves around the half oval to the building's entranceway. Reiss explained that the south mural symbolizes the country's development from Native American inhabitance to the late industrial era, with a history of transportation in the background. The room also has a Kasota stone fireplace, above which lies a map of the United States using inlaid wood; each wood panel is indigenous to the state it depicts. The lunchroom, now known as the Losantiville Dining Room, has relatively high yellow Verona marble walls, with a band of green above it, and a chocolate-brown ceiling. , The rotunda's semi-circular central information desk and ticket kiosk originally served as a newsstand and tobacco shop, and was originally the only structure in the rotunda. These colors and lighting contrast with the interior's simple form and detail. There is always something new to discover and enjoy with each visit. , The terminal was built with eight platforms and sixteen platform tracks, with room for expansion to 22 tracks. We have an annual membership now and love being able to come any time to check out what's new. , The main entrance leads to a small marble vestibule, which leads to the terminal's main concourse, the Rotunda. [N 1] The main information desk is used for ticketing, and has daily schedules, museum maps, and coat checking, and has information on special events and the building's lost and found items. It was considered the largest in the world until 1973, when the Sydney Opera House was built. This would surround the rotunda with warm air, insulating it from the cold. The room carried on the same marble pattern of the rotunda walls, and had a segmental arch ceiling 36 feet, 8.5 inches above the floor at the crown, painted in shades of yellow from pale lemon to orange.  While it had a brief revival in the 1940s, because of World War II, it declined in use through the 1950s into the 1960s, as passengers had taken to affordable individual automobiles and airplanes for long-distance travel.  The low walls and pylons in front of the building are made of the same limestone.  Other work included the construction of mail and express terminals, an engine terminal, power house, coach yard, viaducts over the Mill Creek, and the railroad approaches to Union Terminal.  The terminal was designed with a large amount of interior and exterior art, unusual for train stations at the time, intended to set Union Terminal apart and make it a model of modern Cincinnati.
, The terminal complex also included a roundhouse, washing platform, cinder pit, fire-lighting stations, coaling station, two electric substations, a power plant, and a water treatment plant. The flues act as sound channels, allowing people 30 meters apart at the base of each arch, by symmetrical drinking fountains, to hold a private conversation with ease. , Pierre Bourdelle, son of renowned French sculptor Antoine Bourdelle, was also commissioned to create artwork for the terminal. The station is served by Amtrak's Cardinal line, operating every other day, three times per week.  The room featured the Winold Reiss industrial murals, commissioned for the space, as well as a large map mural, the only artwork original to the terminal that was demolished. The show was produced by Hanna-Barbera, a division of Cincinnati-based Taft Broadcasting. EnterTRAINment Junction was conceived in 2003, train construction began in June of 2007 and opened for business in August of 2008. The concourse was well-lit with tall windows throughout. The north carving represents transportation, while the south represents commerce. , The main facade's central arch was inspired by Helsinki Central Station in Helsinki, Finland, which Fellheimer visited in 1927. The ramps were also heated, to prevent drafts of cold air from entering the concourse.  The platforms and tracks ran north to south, partially beneath the train concourse.  Sound-absorbing plaster covers the dome ceiling, which has yellow and orange plaster banded with silver strips.  The terminal was also reported as resembling Kyiv-Pasazhyrskyi railway station in Kyiv, Ukraine. , The Union Terminal Company was created on July 14, 1927 to build the terminal complex and other related transportation improvements.  Carroll Meeks described the passenger's route from the tracks up to the concourse and back down again to vehicle ramps as relatively complicated and arduous.  In 1930, while initial construction took place, the terminal company persuaded the architects to hire Paul Philippe Cret as a design consultant.
 During the midst of planning, the Depression of 192021 and World War I interrupted efforts to create the union station. An agreement for a union station among the seven railroads that served Cincinnati and the city itself was not achieved until July 1927. The club could not afford the rent terms and thus vacated the space.  The fountain utilizes pink porphyritic granite. For a time, the sign read "Cincinnati Museum Center", though during the extensive renovation in 2018, it was replaced with the current sign, reading "Cincinnati Union Terminal". The pioneer family depicted symbolizes "the courage and fortitude of the man; the loyalty and love of the mother; the wondering romance of the past and future America in the eyes of the boy".
 Train service decreased from 51 per day in 1953 to 24 per day in 1962.  The contrasting flooring was laid out in way that guided traffic to and from the main entrance and platforms. There are over 100 scratch built bridges and trestles modeled after real-life structures. Cincinnati Union Terminal is an intercity train station and museum center in the Queensgate neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio. A conductors' visa counter was installed at the east end of the concourse at its longitudinal center. Later on, the hands were modified and filled in. , The baggage level occupied space directly beneath the checking lobby and train concourse. The hands were originally skeleton hands, with a hollow center. Train service fully stopped in 1972, and Amtrak moved service to a smaller station nearby. , The checking lobby is a space behind the rotunda. , Ridership is among the lowest of Amtrak stations in Ohio and among the lowest for any station serving a metropolitan area of at least two million people.  Art Deco was chosen with its proposed cost savings in mind, as well as its liveliness, color, and modern decoration. The central strip is still intact, but the portions to its north and south became parking lots in 1980. The only prominent figure is Arthur St. Clair, who named Cincinnati, at the third from the right. , The grounds also feature a large Art Deco sign, not original to the building. The tower is located on the fourth and fifth floors at the east end of the station, with sets of windows on the north, east, and south. The control panels that operate each track have over 20,000 solder joints with 8,000 lines of programming to operate multiple trains on the same track. , The president's office is circular, with flexwood walls and cork floors. In the late 1980s, two Cincinnati museums merged and renovated the terminal, which reopened in 1990 as the Cincinnati Museum Center. Trucking ramps were located directly beneath the train concourse's northern passenger ramps, and a passageway connected the facility to the mail handling building. It is unknown who designed it, though the Cincinnati Watch Company believes it was most likely Paul Cret. When you take a picture with flash on a camera of the steamboat, youll hear thunder after like it was a flash of lightning. The tower featured a large electro-pneumatic interlocking machine, built by the Union Switch & Signal Company.  It reopened around 1991 as the Scripps Howard Newsreel Theater, showing free features, newsreels, and a video history of the terminal. The building was two stories tall, steel-framed, with brick walls and concrete floors and roofs.  The scheduled closure left the terminal's fate uncertain, leading multiple efforts to bring the topic to public attention in mid-to-late October 1972. The murals depict live animals, fruits, vegetables, bread, and other food. I was in town visiting family a month ago when we took the kids. Beneath this are nine aluminum-faced doors leading to a marble vestibule and the rotunda. , The rotunda murals measure 105 by 22 feet (32.0m 6.7m); when created they were among the largest works of art in the US. Weve had visitors from all 50 states and 37 countries! The south mural (on the left side of the rotunda from the entrance) depicts US history, while the north mural (on the right side of the rotunda) depicts the history of the city of Cincinnati. , The north side of the main level included terminal company offices, also present in spaces above the checking lobby.
In the late 1950s the Union Terminal Company began searching for other uses for the building.  The works included a jungle-themed mural of linoleum panels, painted and lacquered, for the women's lounge, and works for the men's lounge, baggage checking area, meeting spaces, and the executive offices.  In late 2019, the museum center opened the space for a few weeks for the holiday season, staffed by Cincinnati Railroad Club volunteers.